Any individual involved in the design, supply or construction of a masonry building may participate and enter a project. Entries must adhere to the following:
1. A minimum of 50% of the project’s exterior must consist of masonry. The exterior masonry requirement may be reduced to 25%, if interior applications feature 50% exposed masonry.
2. The project must be constructed in Wisconsin utilizing masonry products produced or supplied by a Wisconsin Masonry Alliance member.
3. The project’s occupancy date must be no longer than five years from the date of submission.
4. Any project that has previously won a WMA award may not be re-entered.
All entries will be judged based upon the following:
1. Design creativity – uniqueness of project.
2. Visual impact and acceptance – impression, relationship to site, pedestrian connection.
3. Inspiring material usage – details, features, or solutional elements.
4. Masonry utilization – the material’s relationship in establishing the character and fulfilling the function of the structure.
Winning projects will be exhibited and awards will be presented at the 31st Annual Excellence in Masonry Breakfast at the 2018 AIA-Wisconsin Convention for the following commercial, residential, and public categories.
Awards will be given in the following categories:
1. Best of Show in Excellence in Masonry Award Program – Project exemplifying masonry at its finest.
2. Best of Clay Masonry – Deemed best project utilizing clay masonry.
3. Merit in Clay Award – Exemplary project utilizing clay masonry.
4. Best of Concrete Masonry – Deemed best project utilizing concrete masonry.
5. Merit in Concrete Masonry– Exemplary project utilizing concrete masonry.
6. Best of Natural Stone – Deemed best project utilizing natural stone masonry.
7. Merit in Natural Stone – Exemplary project utilizing natural stone masonry.
8. E2 Award – Masonry project purposed for energy & environmental preservation.
9. Restoration – Exemplary masonry utilization in a restoration showing before and after.
*Based on submittals, all categories may not be awarded.
Each entry must include:
1. Submission form (entered online or printable form).
2. A minimum (5) and maximum (10) digital images of project. Two versions of each image: 300 dpi (minimum 4x6 inches) and 72 dpi. Upload images online (or via CD-ROM if mailed) and adhere to the following requirements : 300 dpi (minimum 4x6 inches) and 72 dpi.
3. A minimum 250-word description of the project explaining the utilization of masonry.
4. Minimum (2) maximum (4); PDF images of drawing plan, elevation, or section. (2) of the (10) photos must be detail views (full or partial) showing masonry components, structure, interfaces, etc.
5. No entry fee is required.
Online submission is encouraged. To submit online, please click "next" at the bottom of this page.